How an Osteopathic Practitioner Can Treat Headaches
An osteopathic practitioner approaches and treats medical conditions by examining the body as a whole. These therapists examine how the various systems in your body relate and connect. Understanding your lifestyle and environmental factors are a huge part of the process. It’s what allows for the success of osteopathic practitioners, especially when it comes to treating headaches.
Over 2.7 million Canadians had been diagnosed with migraines. There is no known cause for them, leaving people missing out on work and time with their families due to the pain. If you suffer from frequent headaches, an osteopath can help.
Diagnosis From an Osteopathic Professional
- The onset of the headache
- How frequently you get them
- How long a headache episode lasts
- What the headache feels like (throbbing, sharp, dull)
From these answers, your osteopath can determine what type of headaches you’re experiencing.
Osteopathic Treatment for Headaches
- Abortive therapy focuses on reversing a headache once it has begun.
- Prophylactic treatment works to prevent and minimize headaches. This is accomplished through daily medications and certain lifestyle changes.
- Symptomatic concentrates on relieving your symptoms once they begin.
- The combination style uses a mixture of two or all the options mentioned above.
- Light sensitivity
- Neck pain